Sunday, May 29, 2011

America...*SIGH*

While driving through a city in northern Washington I saw exactly one football stadium, one soccer field, and one baseball diamond. Along with those I saw approximately 20 mattress stores, 15 furniture stores with lazy boy billboards, tons of liquor stores (you can even buy beer in the groceries stores and gas stations) and countless amounts of fast food restaurants every block where the smallest size pop you can purchase contains almost enough liquid to fill a small child’s kiddie pool.
 A lot of the restaurants I witnessed were also all you can eat buffets. And yet Americans wonder why so many of them are obese. I can understand how with all the improvements in technology that people are required to move less and less and become lazier and lazier. Also, with all of this junk food provided at such a low cost in such large quantities how it can be tempting for families to take advantage of this. However, one thing that I cannot understand is how they can continue to do this day in and day out and even when they begin to feel like complete shit with bodies full of fat that they don’t start to do something about their health.  
Don’t get me wrong, I am not talking about ALL Americans but there are alarming amounts (30-40% obese and 60-70% overweight) that are obese or close to it. I often hear the excuse of not having the time to go out to exercise during the week and it’s not like people in America are that more strived for time than the rest of the world. To me I do not see many things that can be more important than one’s health. If you are in good health you are in a much more cheerful mood, you have more energy during the time you take care of your family, more energy while going out and doing chores and even while at work. All of the excuses come down to one thing: just plain laziness. This laziness can unfortunately include being too lazy to think. It comes down to a matter of will power and self discipline. People are just used to getting what they want when they want it and do not execute common sense or logic and reasoning most of the time. But I will once again digress.

I don’t know if it is because I have never been overweight or even been at the normal weight for my body type, nor have I gone long periods of time without exercise except when I was physically unable to walk but this is one thing that will continue to amaze me.  They say you can’t get to really know someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes so this may be one of those cases.
I hope my next post can be one of a slightly cheerier mood.
epop


No comments:

Post a Comment