Thursday, June 2, 2011

Come Run With Me

Running is meditating in motion.
Who would’ve thought this would be written by my hands after going through those 2 hour long basketball practices where more than half of the practice consisted of running suicides for each free throw my team missed with more than a couple “double or nothings”. Not me. I forgot to mention, our team consisted of far from elite free throw shooters.
No, I did not always love running. Nor did running always love me. I remember the day of a 3km race in high school I woke up with the flu. Did I tell my parents I should stay home from school? No. Did I think it was a good idea to maybe skip this one race? Unfortunately I didn’t. I was too competitive (or… arrogant?) for that.  Yes I did grow a lot in the intelligence department as well as a runner throughout the years. Oh, what happened in the race you ask? Well, I finished the race second and in a fit of anger and nausea ran to the closest garbage to the finish line and knelt over. After doing the deed I looked up to see a group of little girls pointing and screaming “EWWWWWWW”. Thanks girls, thanks. That put me on the couch and out of running for a couple of weeks.
I have no doubt though that running and I will be lifelong friends. I mean what more could you ask for in a friend than one who helps you get through problems, helps you stay in shape and is there any time at all when you need them.  Yeah, running is nothing but good in my book.
It is my escape. It is my drug. I do not need my mind altered or my reality blurred to get through the stresses life brings. I just need my mind clear and that’s what running does for me. Whenever there is a big or tough life decision for me to make I ponder it over during a run first before going through with anything. Running has also taught me self discipline and with that has given me a strong will.
When going out on a 10K run and feeling the pain in your lungs and legs half way through, teaching yourself to fight on and complete the run by telling yourself “this will make it easier next time” instead of listening to the voice in your head saying “I want to quit” helps develop immense self discipline and an impenetrable will that will help in all other aspects of one’s life. And the feeling it gives you inside when you’re done, oh WOW!  Well, let’s just say it is like nothing else. It makes me want to only strengthen my body and mind even more. This will and discipline helps me to refrain from eating and drinking foods and drinks which I have decided not to intake, control carnal desires and to abstain from doing things which will cause permanent damage to my mind and body because if I do, this can prevent me from running, which is not something that is easy for me to handle.
This only begins to scratch the surface of what running means to me and you can bank on it that it won’t be the last time I will mention it.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment