Friday, July 8, 2011

Top 10 Favourite Songs

Today I'm going to take on the tough task of creating a list of my top 10 favourite songs. It is quite difficult to think of all the songs I've ever heard at once but I'll try it out. I am also going to try limit to one song per band.

Here we goooooooooooooooo...


#10:Lose Yourself by Eminem
This was a song that was on all my workout and running play lists. I almost know this song word for word by heart. It is highly motivating and sends the message that you should take a good opportunity if it comes upon you because you may not get another one. This song helps me get through hard runs and pushes me to do my best.



#9:The Truth by Brother Cane
This is a band that probably not many of you would have heard of, but I recommend after this that you do. They are a small time Canadian band and play mostly soft rock music. This, in my opinion, is their best song and has been on my music players forever.



#8:On A Day Like Today by Bryan Adams
This song has such a care free and peaceful feel to it. It makes you feel like all the bad things in your life can go away and makes you forget all your worries. It gives you a feeling like there is a place in the world where you belong and is just generally very happy.



#7:100 Years by Five For Fighting
This song puts one’s whole life into perspective. It gives the realization that as you get older you have less time to waste and have to take the full advantage of the time you have left. It kind of has a sad mood to it in the way that it depicts how little time we have in our lives but it gives me personally hope I can still accomplish great things seeing as I hopefully have a lot more time to do so.



#6:Numb by Linkin Park
This song has quite a few different tones that blend so well together.  It has sort of soothing calm tones and builds up to eventually full on screaming. Linkin Park’s lead singer also has such a unique, easy to listen to voice. This is another must for any running play list.



#5:Fix You by Coldplay
The lead singer of Coldplay (Chris Martin) wrote this song for his wife, Gwyneth Paltrow, the day after her father died so it is actually quite depressing for the majority of the song. However, near the end, the mood totally changes from sadness to pure hope and joy. You are not human if you are not overcome with emotion near the end of this song. The tone kind of tells a story in the way that no matter how bad things get and how low you may feel, there is always a way out and a way to fix your troubles.




#4:Imagine by John Lennon
At first I wasn’t quite sure what to think about this song. Being a somewhat “religious” person myself, I wasn’t sure Lennon was trying to send a message that I would share the same interest in. I thought about it further and indeed I do agree with his message and that’s when I discovered the true beauty to this song. The reason I put quotes around religious before is because I am a spiritual person who believes there could exist a higher power. However, I do not follow any organized religion exactly. What I think Lennon was saying was not necessarily to not be at all spiritual but just to not use your religion to separate people from loving each other in this world and to just believe what you believe and let others believe what they believe. You’re not the only dreamer John. 


For my final three songs, I truly love all of them and it is pretty much just a random drawing for which order the three are in. The only reasons I attempt to put order to them is for the sake of completeness and we all know it’s pretty lame to have a tie for the win :p




#3:Hallelujah

This song was originally written by Leonard Cohen but my favorite version of the song is sung by Kate Voegele. In this song Cohen talks about his struggle with keeping faith in God because of how his love for the woman he loved has weakened and the flame in his relationship has gone out. This feeling in a way parallels to what I am going through right now only my struggle with keeping faith doesn’t have anything to do love but instead logic and probability. However, in the end Cohen is able to once again strengthen his faith and listening to the words in this song gives me faith that I can strengthen my faith in God once again as well.



#2:The Scientist by Coldplay

Okay so this is my one exception to the rule. It was hard enough only putting two Coldplay songs on this list so give me a break. Oh how this song pertains so to my life. I do not think there was ever a situation I was put into with a girl that I did not overanalyze the situation. I even analyze things about women I haven’t even talked to or met yet. If only I could shut off my brain for a little while and just let my natural instincts take over. If only I could let my guard down and remove the fears of making mistakes maybe then it wouldn’t have to “be this hard”. This song helps to show me that I am not the only one to feel this way. 




#1:Drops of Jupiter by Train
The melody, tone and lyrics of this song are all so beautiful. Pat (the lead singer of Train) had written this song from a dream he had shortly after the passing of his mother. I think she would have loved it because I know I sure do. This is one of the few songs that no matter if I listened to it 10,000 times the 10,001st  time I would enjoy it just as much as the first. I'd have to call this my favourite song of all time.















Cheers,
epop








No comments:

Post a Comment